My other sister also received a purse for Christmas this year. I made the panels for this vortex like purse by digging through my strips and using anything that was in the color spectrum. I had very little utility cloth left, so I did some reverse math to make the pattern. Once I had the size decided, I layered the utility cloth with batting and started sewing pieces down. I decided not to free motion over the panel once it was to size because I was concerned that it would distract from the piecing.
After the PDX Purse fiasco of assembling, I was much more confident in making this. It was still incredibly awkward sewing the top stitch and in some spots, you can really see where I got off track, but I’m happy to say that with each bag I make, it is getting easier and my skills are improving.
I did a mishmash of two different fabrics for the lining and a solid dark green for the pocket. The purse is only 14″ by 11″ so I didn’t install a snap or a flap for closing it. I also didn’t use duck cloth for the bottom of the bag like I did for the PDX Purse and my Tinkertote. I’m sure it will hold up well for my sister without it, and if it starts to get too worn, it just gives me an excuse to make her another one, right?!
I had a blast making these three pillows for some of my husbands extended family. They are very near and dear to my heart and I wanted to show them that. The first is a swoon block I made for my Aunt-in-law. This was my first time meandering and I am really happy with how it came out and how much fun it was to quilt. I almost wish I had put borders around the block so that the pattern is easier to identify. Lesson learned.Next is a pillow I made for my Cousin-in-law. I decided to try machine applique for the first time. It wasn’t as intuitive as I had hoped it would be and I struggled a bit with it. I hope that as I work on these techniques that they will become easier, or maybe machine applique is not for me.My Grandma-in-law had been hospitalized for 2 weeks just before the holiday and I really hope that this brightens her living room a little and reminds her that her grandson and I think of her often and love her very much. I LOVED making the granny square and hope this year to make a quilt with this block. I quilted it simply, hoping to emphasize the lines.
I’ve been enjoying taking a much needed break from sewing to get through the crazy holiday rush and catch my breath from the five christmas celebrations. Then yesterday at work, I managed to cut my finger really well. At first I didn’t think I needed stitches, but hours later, I decided to go to the urgent care. Sure enough, I needed 6 stitches and now the break I’ve been enjoying has become mandatory until the stitches come out, or at least until I can bend my finger a bit better. I’d post a picture, but I’m not sure how many of you would appreciate that.
I hope everyone has had a fabulous holiday season and very happy new year!
I’m excited I can finally start sharing the many Christmas gift projects I have been working on! These pillows are for my Mom who is going to use them in a John Deer inspired office for her husband.
I had these wonky circle blocks stuck in my head for months thanks to pinterest. I am very new to curves and wanted to practice a design that is a little more forgiving than more traditional blocks. I used a variation of stack and whack to make these. I stacked up squares of fabric and clipped the top right corner. Then I cut a curve in all of the fabric and shuffled the cut pieces until I was happy with them and sewed them back together, Then I’s stack them together, using the clipped corner as a guide and cut again. I did this several times until I was happy with the look. Then I measured them and cut as big of a square as I could and put them together. I think it makes a really fun and playful block. I’d love to try this technique again and make a wall hanging for my living room! It also makes a lot of fun scraps that could be used in an improv quilt somehow.
I used several different quilting designs in each section of the pillow. I like the look that it gives it and it was excellent practice and gave me a feel for each design. I used a variegated yellow thread from Aurifil. I love Aurifil threads for quilting and piecing.
The pebbling is my favorite part of both pillows. It was a lot of fun to sew and I really like how it changed the fabric to look like a print in a way. Here are a few more close up shots of the quilting. These smaller projects have really given me some confidence that I can fmq a larger project!
I hope everyone had a very merry Christmas or just a great day if you don’t celebrate the holiday! Thanks for stopping by!